Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Day After


In honor of Bastille Day, I'm using an image that I lifted from scifi-movies.com.  It is now the day after Topps 2011 Allen & Ginter has hit the streets.  Boxes are in hand and several Cuffites have started to post them.  That's fine.  Don't let me hold you back.

Since there are several new participants this year, I'll take a moment to give an overview of how this train wreck happens.  But instead of me yammering on and on and on, I'll let the originator of Gint-A-Cuffs do that for me.  Beardy created this monster in 2009.  Here's how he described it in a comment on Colbey's blog:
Basically, there is an arbitrary list of rules created by the commish. Certain cards are worth more points. Usually, they are either somewhat rare, or at least tougher to pull than a base card. Each participant gets awarded points for pulling a card of their favorite team, and for pulling a card of their favorite player, or a favorite player of any participant. Both favorite player and favorite team must be selected prior to the start of the competition. You can also lose points for pulling cards of any player on a list that is predetermined by the commish prior to the start of play. Scores are tabulated by pack, and then added up at the end to come up with your grand total. Whomever scores the highest, is the champion. It was invented by me in 2009 and the reins were handed over to Mark's Ephemera last year. He is the only Commish in the history of Gint-A-Cuffs, and his rulings are not to be taken lightly.
Beardy is right.  The Commissioner's rulings are not to be taken lightly.

This year I've decided to wait a week or so to release the scoring rules.  The last few years the scoring rules were released before it was really known what cards were in the set.  Sure, there will probably be something that the R&D department at the Gint-A-Cuffs headquarters hasn't foreseen, but we do our best.

So, I'll try to answer some questions that you might have.

Q: When does this start?  And when does it end?
A: Gee, I don't know.  I hope to have the scoring rules completed in just a few days.  The scoring rules will be posted on the 2011 Rules page.  The 2010 Rules will go away.  The contest will end in about a month.  End of August.  If there is need, it might end around Labor Day.

Q: Can I open my box?  Can I start busting packs?  Can I post them on my blog?
A: Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  They're your cards.  Open them and enjoy.  Share them with the rest of the world.

Q: If I post them, is there a format that I should follow?
A: A few comments here.  You'll have to post at least the point scoring cards on your blog.  You can post them now and after the scoring rules have been revealed you can just copy and paste with the card points.  As far as how to post, I'm a fan of the manner that Night Owl uses.  Here's one of his recent posts. Clean and clear.  With just a touch of smarm.  Smarm is not required.  Remember, this is a family contest, so please, no wagering and keep the potty mouths closed.  Also, please tag or label your Gint-A-Cuffs posts with GAC3.

Q: I'm going to have a lot of questions.  Can I have your cell phone number so I can call you anytime to get a scoring ruling?
A: Nope.  I'm sure that there will be questions.  And as Commissioner I'll answer them as quickly as I can.  Sometimes research needs to be done.  Sometimes I just won't be available.  The last few days of July I'll be on vacation with the family, attending a wedding in the western suburbs of Chicago.  Although I will have access to comments on this blog, I'm not going to be hanging around the computer for extended periods of time.

Q: You've joked before about accepting bribes.  Were you being serious?
A: Of course not.  Or maybe I was.  No.

Q: Community Gum said that they have boxes available and that they've lifted the one box per participant rule.  What's up with that?
A: I haven't spoken with Jon and Andy, but I'm guessing that they didn't sell out their case and are sharing the excess with anyone that wants in.  Contact them for details.  And I'd like to take the opportunity to thank them again for making the boxes available and being our Dealer Sponsor.

Q: Wait, I've got two or three boxes.  Why can't I just post all the good scoring cards on my blog, get a fantastic score and walk away with the prize from Topps?
A: Because you are all good people and this contest is based on trust and decency.  Deal with it.  But you don't get to post a box score then get a new box to try to beat it.  The first one you break and show is the one you're stuck with.

Q: How do I know if I'm doing things right?
A: You probably don't.  I don't either.  Go with it.  This is supposed to be fun.

Okay, I finished writing this at just after midnight.  It is now officially July 15th, which makes the whole Bastille Day thing moot.  I'm just going to back date post this thing and be done with it.

4 comments:

  1. It's still before midnight here. So it's still Bastille Day!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7yxA9vt2-c

    Oh, and I'll keep my categorization but I'll be nice and make sure I total things up well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in! For real this year!
    After 2 years of flaking out I am Gint-A-Cuffing for real.
    I just returned from my LCS with a box in hand...
    I really wanted to support Community Gum and the great deal they were offering, but when I saw that box sitting on the shelf right in front of me I had to have it!!!
    The ripping will commence at midnight for me!
    Good luck to all, but 2011 belongs to the TRoll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too late to enter? Sounds like fun. I know squat about the A&G set but this seems like a cool way to get more into it. If it's still open I'll order my box. My team is the Orioles. My favorite player is Lance Berkman but if the rules stipulate MFP must come from MFT than I'll go with Matt Weiters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across this site this morning, are you still taking sign ups? I'm awaiting my box of A&G (should be here tomorrow, July 18th) If I'm in my favorite team is the Braves and my favorite player is Martin Prado. Hope to get in on this fun.

    ReplyDelete