Monday, September 17, 2018

Questions. We have questions.

I didn't say answers, but we have questions.

I was amazed that no one was asking any scoring rules, except for Nachos Grande.

We emailed a bit, then I forgot to provide an answer.

Then, poking around, I saw that more questions were being asked.  Blogger, in their infinite wisdom decided that I shouldn't be notified of such trivial annoyances.

Now that I know, I'll address them and see if we can get this thing rolling.

Nachos Grande asked: I'll need a score ruling for the N43 box loader please.

The Commissioner responds: Upon review, it appears that the good folks at Topps are up to trickery and no good.  This looks like a SP Albies box loader.  I'm going to rule that a SP N43 Box Loader is worth +6 points (2 points above the regular box loader).


Chris followed up with another question: Also, while you are at it...I need scores for: + who knows? - Stealth minis (MS-#) as well.

The Commissioner responds:  +4 points.


--David asks: There are mini glow-in-the-dark cards with regular numbers on back as well.

The Commissioner responds:  Do you have any glow-in-the-dark cards or are you just messing with me?  I know that there are GITD cards, I just don't want to make a ruling if it doesn't affect things.  Leave well enough alone and all that.


Spankee asks: My box was a hot box, so I need a ruling there. Every base card in the hot box is glossy.

The Commissioner responds:
  I dealt with "hot boxes" last year when there were foil cards.  I'll use last year's ruling: Score every card as if it wasn't glossy.  The box gets a +20 to the overall score.


The Ginter Godfather stated: My box was absolutely abysmal, such that I don't even need to score it to know that I will be in last place. I need a ruling.

The Commissioner responds:  My ruling is: too bad, so sad.  But don't be dismayed.  The good folks at Topps, yes, the ones that are up to trickery and no good, have sent a second hobby box for a prize.  Folks, it looks like there might be a random drawing in your future.  Or the bottom of the barrel consolation prize.  It really depends on how the bribes go.  And so far, they haven't been good.


Judson asked: My box was short a hit and it could take Topps 2-4 weeks to replace it. I was planning on ordering another box to build the set, so I can use that box for scoring, if that's okay with you, Commish.

The Commissioner responds:  Hmmm.  Interesting quandary.  If you're going to build a new set and have already ordered the new box, let's do this.  Score your first box.  Then, take the 1st hit from the new box.  That will be your scoring 3rd hit from the first box.  I arrived at that number by using a random number generator.  Generate 10 numbers between 1 and 3.  The 10th number was "1".


I know I need to update the 2018 scoring page.  I promise I'll do better at checking the blog for questions.


4 comments:

  1. Just got two boxes, so I'm not in the contest, but just playing along for fun. Never done this before, so this might be a N00b question...
    Do inserts of someone's favorite player / my favorite team count as anything additional? Like an Ohtani Fantasy Goldmine.
    Also, does a Yankee box loader only count half? I see the hits are ½, but not the box loaders....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only ever done Gint-a-cuffs once, but man, do I love these posts. It's like Dear Abby for the cardboard minded!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we’re gonna need a ruling on the glow in the dark minis, Commish...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have a GITD. Sure, I usually ask random, unrelated questions in general, but this time, I'm asking for myself. Perhaps one too many times of crying wolf has caught up with me.

    ReplyDelete